Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:03:46 -0700

Would the IP addressing be different between for the clients
on the VLAN as opposed to the normal nodes clients?

  As long as the switch is working correctly, packets don't
cross from one group to another.  So it's perfectly LEGAL to
use the same layer 3 address blocks, and even specific addresses,
on different groups.  (Recall that a pure switch is a layer 2
device and doesn't care what the layer 3 payloads look like.)

  BUT -- if you ever want anything on one VLAN to talk to
something on another VLAN, then normal layer 3 rules apply --
the groups need to be using *different* address blocks, and
you need a gateway or router that connects them together,
exactly as you would if these were real separate physical
networks.

  [Definition note:  A "subnet" is a layer 3 address block,
specifically as it relates to its possible hierarchical
inclusion in some subdivided (larger) layer 3 address block.
So the preceding two paragraphs *probably* address your questions
about "subnets".
  Assigning two devices addresses "in the same subnet" is how we
*tell layer 3* that these devices are within the same layer 2 LAN,
VLAN, group, or whatever -- that they can talk to each other
via MAC address and/or broadcasts.  To tell layer 3 that devices
are in different broadcast domains, we give them addresses from
different subnets and local gateway addresses to be used to reach
remote subnets.
  Our choice of layer 3 addressing is not arbitrary and random;
we are telling the various network nodes about how they are connected
to each other and to nodes in other networks.  We may have a choice
of the specific numbers we use, but only as long as they correctly
reflect those relationships.]

Would the nodes on the VLAN be more secure or have the same
security as the normal nodes?

  That's up to the nodes, not the networks.
  What you'll typically do is, at the gateway (see above),
implement firewalling, access lists, or other filters, so
you can limit the access that devices on one network have to
devices on another.
  So one VLAN might have more restrictive filters between it
and the Internet than another, up to and including "the gateway
doesn't forward packets into/out of this VLAN".

  I said above
  "As long as the switch is working correctly, packets don't
cross from one group to another."
  One reason that VLANs are not a reliable security mechanism is
that switches may have FLAWS which could, for instance, allow packets
to cross from one VLAN to another without encountering the
filters at the gateway.  Or it might be possible for an attacker
on a "public" VLAN to compromise the management software on the
switch and configure it to provide him access to a more private
VLAN, or merely a view of traffic on that more private VLAN.
  These are things that can't happen if you really have separate
physical switches instead of VLANs.