Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Robert D. Holtz - Lists" <robert.d.holtz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:40:24 -0500

<snip>

Yeah, I guess, sorta. But I believe that you can run more than one
subnet on the same physical or logical network - by using different
IPs/Masks/GWs. Not sure why you would, but I understand that its
possible.

You can run multiple subnets on a given VLAN.

This used to be necessary in order to support older equipment.  This was due
to IP addressing restraints prior to VLSM.  You used to have to enter ip
addresses with classful subnet masks.  If you wanted more than 254 nodes on
a given network you had to use multiple class c addresses to achieve this.