Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MITM attack on 3TDES

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:02:29 -0700

Hello Shahin,

I think you are referring to the "Man In The Middle" Attack which is
launched against a Crytographic "Protocol". See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

What I was  referring to was "Meet In The Middle" attack, which is
used to attack a Cryptographic "Algorithm" (cipher). See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet-in-the-middle_attack

3TDES, being a cipher (cyrptographic algorithm), is susceptible to
"Meet In The Middle" attack.

Thanks
--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP