Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:56:25 +0200

Isaac Van Name wrote:
Okay, you caught me... got my early morning rant of useless information out
of the way.  :-)  Can't really dispute much of what was said, but I'll try
<snip>
Thank you Isaac et al for the input on this topic. As luck would have I needed to change physical internet connections and have been offline for close on two weeks, sorry.

Isaac, you asked the question of what else is not clear and I had to chuckle. I can only compare the explanations given by you and many of the others as excellent definitions of what can be established and what a VLAN does. NO ONE has answered the simple initial question of what is a VLAN? I know now how to dice it, chop it, mix it and what it will taste like but I still do not know what it is and how it is recognised. I think the end result is that I need to complete a fairly difficult networking course(CCNA?) to fully understand the difference between subnets and VLANs and how they all fit together.

My networking knowledge may not be at the level many of you think it is and therefore I think a course in in order ie CCNA. Comments on the course selection as I already have a N+ and I cannot find any reference to a VLAN in that study material of the MCSE(NT4) Networking Essentials book I have.