Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: What firewall for small medical research lab

From: daryl.adams () hotmail com
Date: 15 May 2006 13:23:22 -0000

Hi Bill/ Alice, et al.

Like Grand Pa said, "cheap is good, free is better." I'm not sure that applies to security hardware though. You might
for this security expenditure to boost you up into a low cost, quality solution. I think the total management and
maintenance cost of a freeware solution alone will be justification enough. I'm not sure what your userbase looks like,
or what kind of bandwidth requirements you have, but if it were me, I'd give serious attention to the Netscreen product
line, the NS5GT is very robust, low cost, it scales well, is low cost, low learning curve, and will address at least
some issues with application layer filtering that may be an issue for you now or in the future, beyond a simple packet
filter. If the 5GT is too small, you might have a look at a 208. Dependant on your purchasing procedures, you may be
able to leverage EBay to get a bargain.

Rgds and G'Luck.