Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Re[2]: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?

From: "John Bond" <john.r.bond () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:36:50 +0100

On 4/14/06, Thierry Zoller <Thierry () zoller lu> wrote:
Lots of Packetfilters answer with ICMP Administravtively Prohibited,
sometimes also leaking their internal IP address by the way..  It is a
common way to respond every IP stack I know about will understand that
message.
this is a little of topic but i read a something recently where it was
pointed out that one has to answer with Administravtively Prohibited
to indicate that the user is breaking the rules.  this gives
precedence to press charges if scanning continues.

i'm pretty sure it was this thread.
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/105/429743