Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re[2]: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:57:08 +0200

On 2006-04-19 John Bond wrote:
On 4/14/06, Thierry Zoller <Thierry () zoller lu> wrote:
Lots of Packetfilters answer with ICMP Administravtively Prohibited,
sometimes also leaking their internal IP address by the way..  It is
a common way to respond every IP stack I know about will understand
that message.

this is a little of topic but i read a something recently where it was
pointed out that one has to answer with Administravtively Prohibited
to indicate that the user is breaking the rules.  this gives
precedence to press charges if scanning continues.

"Administratively prohibited" is a mere notification that the
administrator has RIGHT NOW restricted access to THIS port. It
doesn't tell anything about any other ports or any other time.

Using e.g. an exploit to get around that restriction would be breaking
the rules, trying to access another port or the same port on another day
wouldn't.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."