Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to get a job in IT-Security

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:08:46 -0700

I don't think it will be wise to apply for a security job right after
you graduate. eSecurity is a very wide area, which covers many aspect
e.g. network security, application security, physical security, data
security, desktop security etc.

I would suggest that being a Computer Science major, you get an
application development / design job, and then work your way up to
application / database security position. This will give you
experience, and make your resume more credible. A person who has
developed application is in a better position to understand "secure
application development process" than a person who has never written a
piece of code.

One of the issues that I see with security people is that they don't
have the background in the area of where they are trying to implement
security. Getting a CISSP or similar doesn't give them this
experience.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net