Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: chat logs

From: Ovi <marioara.alexandru () tin it>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:37:20 +0200

1.Generally is good thing to enable the logs in your irc client. The
logs are always useful in cases like this when besides your word you can
provide the police with more details.

2.I advise also a little program called Sam Spade ( very easy to use )
which is a traceroute program that traces ip. You can use it to see from
where the user came and provide that data to the site administrator and
to the police.

3.Last but not least ALWAYS upon knowing that someone menaced your
childs, imediattely contact the site administrator and provide him with
most details possibile about the abuse.

4. As for emails. If you right-click on the email and after that
Property ( or Details ) you will find an welth of information about the
mailer. That supposed that he isn't using an anonimity service or other
remailers. YOu can use also some filtering software for the incoming mails

Finally go here : www.wiredsafety.org. They a lot of information
usefull, and also a 911 kind of service.
Melissa Fischer wrote:

Our community, Waconia, Minnesota has recently been the victims of
threats against our children and schools.

The Emergency Response Task Force assigned to our case asked parents to
go home and check their kids computers for any chats or emails with
information.

We are trying to find a document explaining where and what to look at
to find any information.  We would like to post this on our school main
page www.waconia.k12.mn.us for a resource for parents to use on how to
find any information.  Can you tell me where to find this information?

Thank you in advance,

Melissa Fischer
Database Administrator
Data  and System Engineering