Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: chat logs

From: "Hamish Stanaway" <koremeltdown () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:54:44 +0000

Hey there Melissa,

Reconnaisance of such inormation will have to be done on an individual basis. Firstly, parents will have to look at the individual chat programs that their children are using (building a list of possible chat programs to look for may help un-savvy parents e.g. yahoo messenger, msn messzenger, IRC etc). Parents actually talking to their children will also be useful, as there may have been chat apps used by the children that have since been deleted. Sometimes programs that have been deleted will leave behind their chat logs (e.g. msn messenger). Once parents have listed down the applications that their children have been using to chat they can look at the individual logs. Again, listing defaul locations of logs, and explaining how to go through the settings to establish the location of logs stored in non-default locations. I would suggest the best way to communicate this is ivia forum, so that other parents can ask questions, and communicate and "pull together" in what sounds like a bit of a scary time for everyone involved.
Hopefully the advice I have given will help you out some - good luck! :-)
If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Kindest of regards,

Hamish Stanaway, Director

Absolute Web Hosting / -= KoRe WoRkS =- Internet Security
Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.webhosting.net.nz
http://www.buywebhosting.co.nz
http://www.koreworks.com