Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Printers

From: "Frank T. Clark" <fclark () lanl gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:37:45 -0700

I'd like to add to this that in most of the new HP printers, and some of the old ones, there is a "RAM DISK" that is NFS world read/write.

The newer units can turn this off via the web configuration tool, the older ones you need to use the buttons on the console and the old menu system, or telnet in.

I can think of 1 fun little exploit for the printers (look on ./ for hp
printer hack, posted April fools day last year)...... Changing the
screen on the printers can cause chaos.

This is even easier to do now thanks to WebJetDirect and ppl who don't secure their printers with passwords.

Aside, I'd like to hear more about priv escalation on printers.