Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing Printers

From: "Yvan G.J. Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:51:45 -0600

Well, my simple argument is the instance where an attacker printed out a document on a network shared printer on a
wireless network.
The attacker only printed the message "Your network is wide open".  Not a big threat for a home user, but scary enough.

Imagine a slightly different context where a disgruntled employee goes to an internet café, connects to the network
printer, and
prints off a falsified email from co-worker A to co-worker B containing a pornographic image.  The printed document
could be lying
around, Co-worker A and B get flak, potentially fired, and disgruntled employee is not a suspect.

A more serious instance would be if malicious attacker wanted to attempt a "phishing" attack, they could print out a
"memo"
targeting a specific low-level or new employee from a higher level manager to take specific action.  The next person
who uses the
printer would collect the document and potentially forward it on to the target user.

Just the possibility of this type of activity occurring should justify the assignment of a private IP address.

Yvan