Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Printers

From: Zurt <1algorta () rigel deusto es>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:23:23 +0100

Ed Donahue wrote:

The most immediate to me is a denial of service on the printer; filling it's memory with jobs so that no one else could get in the queue (or creating a single job that has so many pages that no one else will be able to get in). Furthermore, high-capacity printers can burn through a decent amount of paper and toner, costing companies money and inconvenience.

I probably wouldn't be amused to find my printer used and abused.

Another arguement is basic network security. Because it's not vulnerable isn't really a good reason to leave it open to the internet; it goes against the most basic concepts of security: You only allow what you need. Anything else can be a leak of information or a point to breach.

-Ed