Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Possible new virus?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:21:38 -0700

From: "Bacchus Apollonius" <sleepwalker () saintly com>
In the original post the poster noted that he/she "wouldn't think twice if it hadn't happened to 3
computers from 3 different vendors in 2 days".

Aha, I must have been replying to one of the replys because I don't remember that part.

What are the chances of three different CPU-fans (or whatever) in three different systems dying natural deaths in 48 hours with the same BIOS message despite being from different vendors?...

Pretty low, though not totally unfeasible depending on how many machines he has.

Bootsector virus, perhaps?....
Do you know if the fans are still in fact running?

Hmm, I don't see how even the worst bootsector virus could have any effect on the fans since they come on before POST and work even if the CPU is dead. I recommend checking the incoming power lines to see if they are having fluctuations, brownouts, spikes, fuzz, noise, etc. They may need to purchase a line conditioner.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm