Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible new virus?

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:31:46 -0400

Oh, that reminds me... I remember whole offices without power surge protectors burned out after lightning storms... I hope it is not your case.
T.

Wirefire Systems Administrator wrote:

Hey all,
I've had a computer tech calling me about a very strange symptom.

One operating system was XP, one was 98, and another was unknown. The symptom was an error while still in text mode before booting:

cpu cooling fan is malfunctioning

Accompanying this is a high-pitched tone from the PC speaker. mem /c/p doesn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. There is nothing suspicious in autoexec.bat or config.sys... I wouldn't think twice if it hadn't happened to 3 computers from 3 different vendors in 2 days. I've done some looking in google, and that phrase doesn't even occur in the google database, which leads me to believe this is something new.
Any ideas?

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm