Security Basics mailing list archives

Possible new virus?

From: Wirefire Systems Administrator <sysadmin () wirefire com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:01:45 -0400

Hey all,

I've had a computer tech calling me about a very strange symptom.

One operating system was XP, one was 98, and another was unknown. The symptom
was an error while still in text mode before booting:

cpu cooling fan is malfunctioning

Accompanying this is a high-pitched tone from the PC speaker. mem /c/p doesn't
reveal anything out of the ordinary. There is nothing suspicious in
autoexec.bat or config.sys... I wouldn't think twice if it hadn't happened to
3 computers from 3 different vendors in 2 days.
I've done some looking in google, and that phrase doesn't even occur in the
google database, which leads me to believe this is something new.

Any ideas?

--
Matt Simmons

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm