Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSPS preparation

From: "Martin, James E." <martin () more net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:34:49 -0500

I had six years in infosec on a CSIRT before taking the exam, and another two years before that doing LAN/WAN support.
Time was at a premium, so I included the following in my prep:

(a) In addition to the material from ISC2, I used the CISSP OSG materials from http://www.cccure.org/. I worked through
the outline material, and marked up/underlined/scribbled in the margins. I did not spend a lot of time areas  once I
confirmed I had the knowledge and vocabulary. I do not suggest you skimp any area - just that you spend your time where
you need it. Identify your weaknesses and shore those up.

(b) I grabbed the Shon Harris CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide. This book had a substantial set of practice questions on CD.
I used these questions to identify weak spots. A friend of mine used the Transcender materials with equal success. I
used the Harris book as a spot reference to fill in areas that still had "fuzzy edges".

I'd agree largely with the saw that the exam is a mile wide and an inch deep, but there are times where you can drown
in an inch of water.

Enjoy!
Jim

James E. Martin