Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Allow second Internet connection into Office Space?

From: James Taylor <james_n_taylor () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:59:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop () cmu edu> wrote:

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 11:31, Chris Hylen wrote:
Security Pro's:

    A group of my programmers want to have a DSL
connection put in their
testing area so they can simulate end user experience
across the Internet.
I have concerns with this and am curious if anyone else
has found a good
solution to provision their business requirement
without putting the
network at risk.

    I know I haven't gone in to enough detail for an EXACT
solution but
in general if anyone has any "tips" I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

It is debatable whether a DSL line (what speed?) will be
able to simulate 'user experience' without baselineing the
application before testing. Normally the Internet
connection is the slowest link in the chain, but testing
won't necessarily highlight problems in the application.

I would make sure that they have load and performance
tested the separate systems components (Web, App, DB,
Network) before testing from an Internet/Remote user’s
perspective. It is too easy to say 'Oh it's the
internet/remote link’, when it may be something else within
the system e.g. bad application or database design.

Programmers (Gawd bless 'em) are not known for finding
faults in their own code. It may be better to use load
testing software for average/peak (as per spec) load and
performance response. This brings the point that, to test
the 'user experience' the testing must be performed on an
environment that directly simulates (even though it may be
a cut-down version) the production environment. The
development environment is not acceptable for this, but the
test environment is.

The developers should not really be the team that tests in
the test environment, they should sign off and test their
separate components, package the application, and give to
the QA/release team to simulate in the test environment.

This then should be a separate network, which does have a
separate DSL connection. Or, more likely, be located in the
Production location (which will be separated from the
Company network) and use the Production internet
connection, thereby getting a good understanding of the
maximum throughput when the system goes live.

Not being aware of the project size or duration, some of my
comments may not be applicable, but I would find it hard to
justify a special DSL connection into your development
network, and it's additional management/administrative
overhead/cost, when there is testing software than can
simulate an internet connection.

If they force the issue (project/time constraints), then
you must install a firewall and ensure that it only allows
connections IN and OUT FROM specific IP's and ports of the
testing machines, harden the box, install an IDS. I would
also suggest putting the development network on its own VPN
and allow only permitted traffic between development and
company networks. If the network is to be separated, but
needs a connection to the company network, then use
SSH/SFTP to connect the two. But make sure the tests really
do prove 'user experience'.

Regards
James

Well, you're probably looking at one dedicated box that
does NAT/firewalling
and sits between the DSL and the rest of your network.
All other boxes rely
on this one box to secure them, so there's no pressing
need for
reconfiguration of the internal network.

If you want to be 100% safe of course, you would
disconnect the clients not
needing internet access and physically connect only a few
boxes to the one
with the DSL line, thus putting a limited part of your
network "at risk". See
how that goes, and then you can make the big step and
allow (regulated)
internet traffic to flow through your entire network.

- -A
- --
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc