Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Allow second Internet connection into Office Space?

From: Chris Santerre <csanterre () MerchantsOverseas com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:16:10 -0400

What I meant was that sometimes your not testing speed, but how things look
and accessibility to the outside. So you need a machine outside your own
network to come in from outside. So any machine outside your net would work.
Why not use a home computer. Good as any. Use VNC to take it over, then have
the home machine access your company system from outside. (This would not be
used for speed testing.)

This way you could see if outsiders are getting the correct access
privileges, java / perl / cgi codes, ect.....

Basically a poor mans outside setup. Hell you could just stick a box on a
dialup account in the corner. Just don't connect to your network. (I have an
old laptop for this as well as programming voicemail and router.)