Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Allow second Internet connection into Office Space?

From: Jason Kohles <jkohles () redhat com>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 15:27:48 -0400

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 11:31, Chris Hylen wrote:
Security Pro's:

      A group of my programmers want to have a DSL connection put in their
testing area so they can simulate end user experience across the Internet.
I have concerns with this and am curious if anyone else has found a good
solution to provision their business requirement without putting the
network at risk.

I've done this using squid to simulate various modem/broadband speeds
without actual hardware.  You don't mention what your programmers are
working on, but if it is web related this could help you (similar things
could be done with a router, but I only have sample configurations for
squid...

http://www.jasonkohles.com/notes/modem-simulator.html

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles () redhat com
Senior Engineer                 Red Hat Professional Consulting