Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: "Igor' Spivak" <urbanachiever () attbi com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:07:37 -0800

I was doing security research on the internet at work yesterday....
It then showed a screen with my IP address
which was the the external IP interface of one of our companies firewalls.

if  this firewall is used to route from your lan<-->internet then it is
logical that its adress could be dispolayed in that popup

It just bothers me that someone would be able to determine the IP address
of
our firewall that easily.  It seems to me that our firewall should operate
in a
more stealth mode.  Our firewall administrator said it is not technically
possible to do this.  What is your take?.I am not a checkpoint firewall
guru.so
I do not know.   All I know is that if I was a hacker, I would love to
hammer
away on an ip address that represented a firewall.

you probably need to do more research on how Ethernet and tcp/ip work before
doing any more security research, that will really help in your
understanding how things work.  good basic read:
http://www.yale.edu/pclt/COMM/TCPIP.HTM

hope this helps,

ids