Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Edward N Schofield <shuffle3 () insightbb com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:47:04 -0600

Tony,
Yes, that is a lousy advertisement designed to panic people into stampeding to their site. I got the same message on my home PC. The sad fact is that I agree with your IT manager. If you're going to do any communication with the world, you have to have someplace for the world to send messages to. There has to be an external IP address. What Checkpoint does is screen what comes into your organization from your external interface. You would have to look at your Checkpoint rule base to determine the sites it is blocking, if any. Most organizations let email come through the firewall to the corporate users and let them use the delete button. There are some commercial services that you can subscribe to in order to block categories of sites, but you pay good bucks to them for taking your headaches. Yes, this is how worms like Klez and viruses get around companies so quickly, but try to sell executive management on restricting their email access.
My $.02

Ed Schofield

tony tony wrote:

I was doing security research on the internet at work yesterday....when all of
a sudden I got a pop up advertisement that stated that I was broadcasting my IP
address to the entire internet.  It then showed a screen with my IP address
which was the the external IP interface of one of our companies firewalls.
It just bothers me that someone would be able to determine the IP address of
our firewall that easily.  It seems to me that our firewall should operate in a
more stealth mode.  Our firewall administrator said it is not technically
possible to do this.  What is your take?…I am not a checkpoint firewall guru…so
I do not know.   All I know is that if I was a hacker, I would love to hammer
away on an ip address that represented a firewall. Click on the following to learn more about this pop up site.
http://www.bonzi.com/internetalert/ia99m.asp