Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Mike Dresser <mdresser () windsormachine com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:20:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, tony tony wrote:

I was doing security research on the internet at work yesterday....when all of
a sudden I got a pop up advertisement that stated that I was broadcasting my IP
address to the entire internet.  It then showed a screen with my IP address
which was the the external IP interface of one of our companies firewalls.

You have to have an address to send the http request to load that spam
banner, no?  Else the spammers server would not know where the request is
coming from, and where to send to.

Everyone "broadcasts" their IP address on the internet.  It's a spammers
trick to make you click and see what they're hawking.

Mike