Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Stephen Fisher <sfisher () SDF ORG>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 11:06:23 -0700

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 06:02:53PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:

I don't get your last comment.  Unless you're modifying the build
system or adding new files, CMake doesn't come into it after the
initial solution generation.  The solution files automagically rebuild
themselves if something in the CMakeLists has changed (i.e. a new file
has been added).

I see.

While not the greatest tool to work with, CMake does do a good job.
The dependencies etc. are much better handled than in nmake (minimal
rebuilds), it's faster (given more cores), clean is < 2 secs, and
folks only need to manage one build system on all CMake platforms.

Have you tried using CMake for Wireshark on bsd?

No, I've only used cmake to build something else in the past.  I'll give
it a try.