Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:21:04 -0800

On Jan 7, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:

Funny, when I want to build my normal vi-like editor on Windows/Cygwin I just extract the tarball, type ./configure,
and then "make".  Works like a charm. :-)

Admittedly the editor has a LOT less requirements/dependencies than Wireshark...

(I'm also not sure if the author spent any effort on making things work in Cygwin.)

I'm not sure to what extent an app - especially a GUI app such as Wireshark - can act like a native Windows app if
built with Cygwin (e.g., supporting *Windows-style* pathnames - a typical Windows user wouldn't expect files on the C
drive to have paths with / rather than \ in it, and beginning with /cygdrive/c).