WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: How can i protect against session hijacking?

From: David Scholefield <david () port80 com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:44:18 +0100

On 3 Apr 2009, at 01:46, Brad Causey wrote:

1. Will a WAF prevent session hijacking?
In a word, no. I'm with the school of thought that a WAF is a TEMPORARY mitigation of risk while the CODE issues are being resolved. So in practice, you should not deploy a WAF with the long term intent of preventing a certain attack.
<snip>

The fact that PCI says you can have either a WAF or a security review is insane to me.

I totally agree with this - a WAF is a very blunt tool and shouldn't replace decent coding and code review standards. But then code review can be very expensive and time consuming (especially if you don't use a 'standard' set of Microsoft tools such as .NET, or some flavours of Java; and have to do it by hand!)

----
Dr David Scholefield, CISSP, OPST, MBCS
07525 624 997
www.port80.com