WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: How can i protect against session hijacking?

From: David Scholefield <david () port80 com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:41:46 +0100

On 3 Apr 2009, at 05:58, AF wrote:

Debasis Mohanty wrote:
So in your opinion if an application is vulnerable to one XSS but an adverse can exploit the XSS to do 10 different malicious operations, then the app is
vulnerable to 10 issues not 1 XSS?? Won't it give a misleading/vague
assessment of vulnerability? No offence but I have seen this before in many fake consultants reports where they try to blow up an XSS and exploit in
more than one ways to increase the vulnerability count in an report.

-d

Typical. automated web assessment tools reporting 300 critical
vulnerabilities...all located in one URL, one parameter. Result: a
500-pages report that makes the client suffer just as he sees it.

The answer is not to use automated tools for web security assessment!

To be fair, I've seen a number of tools that don't generate bogus 'sub'
vulnerabilities, but in general you get what you pay for, and expertise
is expensive.

----
Dr David Scholefield, CISSP, OPST, MBCS
07525 624 997