WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: How can i protect against session hijacking?

From: "Debasis Mohanty" <debasis.mohanty.listmails () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:42:25 +0530

Not sure if I have understood you correctly or I am bit off here; Can you
explain what you mean by - "simply gaining
control of, or being able to generate, the session token (which is clearly a
form of session hijacking)" ? "

I failed to understand here how someone can simply gain control over the
session without relying upon any other attack?

Regarding " generate, the session token " - if the session is guessable or
can be generated by session pattern analysis then it is clear case of weak
session issue. Isin't it weak (or predictable) session issue is different
from session hijacking? In other words, here session hijacking is possible
provided the adverse user is successfully able to guess/predict the
sessions.

-d