WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: How can i protect against session hijacking?

From: Rohit Sethi <rklists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:00:03 -0400

Tommy,

It's clear that session hijacking is only one many problems that
you've outlined in your scenario. If you have XSS an attacker *doesn't
need* to steal a session - he can execute his entire attack through
the client via a set of CSRF AJAX requests and responses.

What you should really be asking yourself here is "what in the session
am I trying to protect?" Your application probably has many different
transactions - which ones are the most sensitive? For instance, can
people steal credit card numbers or transfer money in your
application?

For those transactions, your should consider using transactional
authentication - forcing the user to use a different factor of
authentication for paritcularly high-risk transactions. One time
passwords are ideal for transactional authentication. If you can't
afford to distribute hard tokens consider using something like
www.phonefactor.com (they have a free service as well as commercial
versions). I can't vouch for phone factor personally but I know it's
come up on this list before.