WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Article - A solution to phishing

From: "WebAppSecurity [Technicalinfo.net]" <webappsec () technicalinfo net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:23:25 -0000

Image-based authentication is certainly an important part of helping with
customer confidence in the web-application they are accessing.

By allowing the user to view a known/selected/chosen/uploaded photo before
entering their second round of authentication information (e.g. Round One =
Surname and Online Reference number -- Round Two = Pin code and random parts
of their shared password) they can help be assured that they are at least
connected to their real web-application [yes, I know that any transparent
proxying  will defeat this - but MITM is difficult to prevent from the
client end].

I have been recommending this process to my financial clients for several
years now... And have seen some good implementations of it in Europe.

For some more information on this see
http://www.technicalinfo.net/papers/Phishing6.html#3.3.3.CustomWebApplicatio
nSecurity

Cheers,