WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations for web app test?

From: <ban.marketing.bs () hushmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:14:40 -0700

<Insert John Stewart Voice here>
Hmm..let me think...oh yeah I got it, because they are useless...yeah
thats it....because the best prob can find 10% of the holes in an average
web site and even if that was acceptable it too late to find holes when
the app is already built to be economical to fix it.

Oh yeah you dont believe me, go fire em against WebGoat or Hackme Bank
or an app you know has specific holes. Anything (tool) can find mud to
sling, it wether you can find the actual holes that counts !

Jeez what is it with the security community that it thinks it can ignore
the years of experience of development communities in fixing software
and take a totally different approach. Oh yeah its cause thats what you
have been doing for years with OS's....ding ding, bespoke software are
not OS's.....they are all different.

</Insert John Stewart Voice here>

Moderator - My vote is to go back to banning posts about commerial software
as it always turns into a stealthy marketing fest. I used to like this
list because it was opinions. Now its more spin that substance. I am
sure this guy is not the same Ceasar that works for AppSec Inc but sure
would explain the favorite tool! Come on give the world some credit.

End of Post

You have another option, buy a web app scanning tool, why? becuase with
it you can continuosly audity your web application just paying once.
When you hire a company for an auditing after one week/month of the auditing,

 your web application will have changed (web applications are of dynamic
nature) and probably it will have new vulnerabilities, so you will have
to audit again and pay again and so on.

The tool i like most is AppDetective for Web
Applications(www.appsecinc.com)
Or you can go for free tools but they are very limited.

Cesar.
--- Daniel <deeper () gmail com> wrote:

the first statement sounds like a brave one to make!

ok ill break it down...

what should i be looking for?
Im gathering this is for the company performing the test? I'd say look

at a company with a decent track record in application security
testing. There are a load of people who have jumped on the app testing

bandwagon recently, and i personally doubt they have enough knowledge

to perform an indepth test.
The company needs to fully understand the application they are testing

and at the same time do an indepth audit of all components.

what should the auditors be looking for?
I'd hope they would be using my pentest checklist as a reference

(http://www.owasp.org/documentation/testing/application.html),
as they
could always give you it as a reference to what they looked at during

the test.
If they are good, they know exactly what to look for

how will you know that they are testing for what you need them to test

for?
You need to specify exactly what you want testing.
If necessary, use
the pentest checklist from above and say you want all area's covered

what is a good price range?
I can only speak for UK prices, but around the 1000 to 1500UKP range

per day is common.
For your setup, i think 5 days is more than enough and should allow

the team testing it to funny understand the applications and find
issues.

As for security companies i'd recommend; (no this isnt a pro vendor

thing, its people i know who have the skillset and can do the job
right)

- Foundstone
- @stake
- Sensepost
- Corsaire
- NGS Software
- ImmunitySec

Daniel

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:40:16 +0000, App Crawler