WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations for web app test?

From: <kingpang () gmail com>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 17:31:27 -0000

Hi App Crawler,

I think another responder Daniel did a great job giving you suggestions.

You did not mention what platform your web application is running on.  If your web app runs on IIS, here is another
checklist the auditors may consider using:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/CL_SecWebs.asp

In order to have a mutual understanding between you and the auditor on what to test, usually the auditor will create a
"Threat Model".  A threat model identifies the assets you would like to protect, and the threats your web app is likely
to have.  If you are interested to see what a threat model is like, you may visit this following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/securecode/threatmodeling/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/thcmch03.asp

These are my two cents and I hope this helps you.

KingPang

Well,  we've decided that everything in our environment is pretty secure,
except for our web applications. So, now we need to outsource the security
assessment of our web applications. So, my question is, what should I be
looking for? What should the auditors be looking for? How will I know that
they are testing for what I need them to test for? What is a good price
range, based on one e-commerce application, one employee intranet
application, and one customer portal application? Should it be based on the
number of forms? Or some other metric? Please advise?!?! Thanks.