WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations for web app test?

From: Daniel <deeper () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:59:12 +0100

the first statement sounds like a brave one to make!

ok ill break it down...

what should i be looking for?
Im gathering this is for the company performing the test? I'd say look
at a company with a decent track record in application security
testing. There are a load of people who have jumped on the app testing
bandwagon recently, and i personally doubt they have enough knowledge
to perform an indepth test.
The company needs to fully understand the application they are testing
and at the same time do an indepth audit of all components.

what should the auditors be looking for?
I'd hope they would be using my pentest checklist as a reference
(http://www.owasp.org/documentation/testing/application.html), as they
could always give you it as a reference to what they looked at during
the test.
If they are good, they know exactly what to look for

how will you know that they are testing for what you need them to test for?
You need to specify exactly what you want testing. If necessary, use
the pentest checklist from above and say you want all area's covered

what is a good price range?
I can only speak for UK prices, but around the 1000 to 1500UKP range
per day is common.
For your setup, i think 5 days is more than enough and should allow
the team testing it to funny understand the applications and find
issues.

As for security companies i'd recommend; (no this isnt a pro vendor
thing, its people i know who have the skillset and can do the job
right)

- Foundstone
- @stake
- Sensepost
- Corsaire
- NGS Software
- ImmunitySec

Daniel

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:40:16 +0000, App Crawler