WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: WebAppSec Training Courses in UK

From: Craig_Sullivan () Waitrose co uk
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:24:37 +0000

Security Architect,

My point is that training should be about educating people about the
right things to do, not recounting or accepting that people don't do that
today. Of course we need to be real but we need to educate executives thats
its not good <<

Of course, this is accepted.  Your job (and others) should be about
identifying risks that are evident to YOU but to the owners or business
sponsors of these sites/services fit within a priority order.  Training is
essential but so is the job of identifying the priority of business related
risks that you can find out when conducting testing (it also serves as a
validation of your efforts).

The point I think you are missing is that for many companies, training is
either not an option or is not considered (app dev is outsourced).

For these companies, a rubbish pentest will accomplish nothing apart from
giving an unrealistic sense of security or worry (depending on what they
find).  Here is where I agree completely with you on the 'scan and charge'
mentality of a lot of security companies.  They are not addressing the core
problem and are probably not identifying the risks that are appropriate to
the business owners of the site/service.

I guess we are going to agree here that education is more important than
useless validation tests.  I call it the same as an 'air guitar' except in
this case the guitar is a flabby appendage attached to the site owners
nether regions <grin>.

If half of the companies I've worked with were so concerned about their
security, the world would be a better place.  If only the money being spent
was better directed, the web would be a more secure place to do
business........

Craig

                      securityarchitec

                      t () hush com               To:      Craig_Sullivan () Waitrose co uk

                                               cc:      dan () idsec com, glyn.geoghegan () corsaire com, webappsec ()
securityfocus com
                      04/12/02 17:02           Subject: RE: WebAppSec Training Courses in UK

I don't disagree with most of what you and Glyn said. It was well put and a
good debate. Thanks.

My point is that training should be about educating people about the right
things to do, not recounting or accepting that people don't do that today.
Of course we need to be real but we need to educate executives thats its
not good enough to test at the end of a projects lifecycle. Thats a
training course that really needs to happen in itself. If we say this is
what happens in the real world (its always late, we never have money, no
time etc) well never tackle the problem strategically and be in the same
place next year.

Fucntional testing was in the same place a few years back but you look at
any good dev shops unit test now and you can see how testing can be
integrated into dev cycles pretty easily.

Of course there is a place for pen testing. But IMHO its nowhere near the
place it is often perceived today. I think we agree on that. This list is
frequentled by more pen test types as well I would muse so the responses
are skewed. If you ask secprog (and the debate is going on there now) they
have a very different focus and if you as CISSP lists I am sure it will be
equally skewed.

My point and I think yours is that good training needs to encompass all
aspects of web application security. It should be about teaching people the
things they need to do, as well as teaching them the things they already do
better.