WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: WebAppSec Training Courses in UK

From: securityarchitect () hush com
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:02:30 -0800

I don't disagree with most of what you and Glyn said. It was well put and a good debate. Thanks.

My point is that training should be about educating people about the right things to do, not recounting or accepting
that people don't do that today. Of course we need to be real but we need to educate executives thats its not good
enough to test at the end of a projects lifecycle. Thats a training course that really needs to happen in itself. If we
say this is what happens in the real world (its always late, we never have money, no time etc) well never tackle the
problem strategically and be in the same place next year.

Fucntional testing was in the same place a few years back but you look at any good dev shops unit test now and you can
see how testing can be integrated into dev cycles pretty easily.

Of course there is a place for pen testing. But IMHO its nowhere near the place it is often perceived today. I think we
agree on that. This list is frequentled by more pen test types as well I would muse so the responses are skewed. If you
ask secprog (and the debate is going on there now) they have a very different focus and if you as CISSP lists I am sure
it will be equally skewed.

My point and I think yours is that good training needs to encompass all aspects of web application security. It should
be about teaching people the things they need to do, as well as teaching them the things they already do better.