Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: "Paul Kierstead" <paul.kierstead () alcatel com>
Date: 3 May 2002 13:26:32 -0400

I  suspect there must have been something to the claims made.
Otherwise we might well have seen Best Buy defend >their secuirty
integrity with wireless, and not just close down the toys <smile>.

I think this is not a valid conclusion. The perception of a problem --
rightly or wrongly -- is now there so the perception of a solution must
also be there. Even if the claims were absolutely false, BB would
probably be better off taking everything off-line, making a few
adjustments (hopefully improvements) and declaring "we take our
customers privacy seriously, so we have implemented the following...".
Denials wouldn't be believed by most.

Paul Kierstead
Senior Security Researcher, Alcatel R&I Security Group