Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Frank <la () pasadena net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 11:30:46 -0700 (PDT)

fyi my local Best Buy has WEP now enabled on all their Access
Points. They'll have fun managing all those static WEP keys between their
Cisco AP's and their Symbol devices.

obscurity" going the way of the dodo bird, but when did we decide
"security through humiliation" was a good technique??

Probably not. But all these problems with Best Buy and others have been
known by many for a long time. So it was just a matter of time. I don't
think that Best Buy is the last to receive this humiliation. Issues
surronding Best Buy were posted on other boards weeks ago. vuln-dev was
not the first.

From the Best Buy response below, it sure looks like they made an honest
mistake in their practices -- SOMETHING EVERY ONE OF US HAS DONE IN THE
PAST.  So, now we're going to raise fear, uncertainty and doubt in the

Sure we all have, but their mistake is mignified buy how many times it was
duplicated at each store across the country. One would expect a company of
this size to do independant verification of these types of system. Really,
there is no excuse will all the bad press that 802.11b has received in the
last year.