Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: IDS and SSL

From: "Dom De Vitto" <Dom () DeVitto com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:06:06 -0000

Superficially, yes.

However in reality, where is the most likely place to be broken into?

You got it: the web server.
So obviously any decryption the the webserver process does, asp/php
script etc. etc. are available, let alone if the webserver should
then have access (frequently too much access) to a backend DB.

In practice, the arch is:
[ Firewall ]
[ Load balancer/redirector ]
(which can detect faulty servers and does SSL decryption)
[ Web Server farm, possibly spread over many sites. ]
[ Firewall ]
[ Load balancer/redirector ]
[ DB Server farm, possibly spread over many sites. ]
[ Firewall ]
[ Load balancer/redirector ]
[ Corp data DBs, possibly spread over many sites. ]

This architecture allows many different types of load balancing
and fault torrerance.
(DNS 'race', layer 7, 3 or 2 redirection)

It's actually a really complicated thing this - Cisco can talk for
hours on it, trust me.

I think we'll see a single layer2+3+7 switch/firewall/loadbalancer
device within 12-18 months, and that will spell the end for what
most people call a "firewall" today.  It'll also put a nail in the
server clustering coffin.

And I think all that's a good thing (TM).

Dom