Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: IDS and SSL

From: "Bojan Zdrnja" <Bojan.Zdrnja () FER hr>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:17:10 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lewis [mailto:jlewis () packetnexus com]
Sent: 21. ozujak 2002 21:17
To: 'Oliver Petruzel'; 'zeno'; vuln-dev () securityfocus com;
bugtraq () securityfocus com; webappsec () securityfocus com;
focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: IDS and SSL

These offload encryption and allow me to drop a NIDS next to the
webservers,
where all the traffic is un-encrypted.  I already had the Alteon
infrastructure, and the iSD's won't work without them so YMMV.

But aren't you doing a wrong thing here ?
If you ask me, you're creating a weak point in encryption chain. If someone
hypothetically speaking gets cotnrol of that Alteon (I'm not familiar with
that device though), or of any point behind it (between that box and your
web server) they can normally sniff all the traffic because, as you said,
it's un-encrypted.

I think encryption chain should be from web server point to client point in
this matter.
I know you have other benefits like acceleration but I think you are loosing
a bit on security here.

Just my 2 cents,

Best regards,

Bojan Zdrnja