Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DOCSIS vulnerability

From: Adam Wheeler <adamwheeler () stny rr com>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 19:10:36 -0000

Thanks for the informative post.  My company relies heavily on our broadband cable access, and as Technical Director I
am responsible for maintaining a secure and reliable network for our employees.

Information like this helps us by giving us a little more leverage with our service provider.  Instead of "Hi, this is
'blah blah' my cable modem seems slow today" and the resulting "We'll send a technician out tomorrow", I can say "Hi,
this is 'blah blah'. I just noticed a sudden network slowdown and it looks to me like somebody on my subnet might be
hacking their cable modem.  Could I speak to a network administrator?"

Information like this can help reduce network downtime from the typical day or two expected from a cable company to an
hour or so and save thousands of dollars in lost profits and wasted time.

Adam Wheeler
Deluxe Business Machines