Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DOCSIS vulnerability

From: Rob Koliha <rkoliha () charter net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:59:36 -0500

This is quite an old issue.. There are half written documents on how to do it everywhere ;)
In most of the howtos I've seen a step or two is missing.. It won't work on a lot of the modems out there, I know it
will work with motorola but it doesn't work on most toshiba and com21's.
Basically since the ethernet interface comes up before the rf interface, when you ping it your exploiting an arp table
bug and fooling the modem into thinking that the tftp server lies on the wrong interface. This can be circumvented a
few different ways.. Doing it with a packetshaper would be pretty expensive since you could possibly need thousands of
flows (and you only get so many flows with each model) and packetshapers are not cheep. The best way to get around it
is setting up the shared password stuff on the cmts (results in a little higher load, but prevents theft of service). A
plaintext password or key is encoded into the .bin file that is downloaded and the cmts checks the key that the modem
has before allowing it to go online. I know for a fact the docsis config decoder/encoder won't really decode the
passphrase.. There may be other apps out there (or in the works) that will. More and more cable isp's will enable this
as time goes on and hopefully the hardware manufacturers have fixes in place or in the works.. Firmware upgrades are
done from the provider side, meaning it would be quite easy for affected modems to be fixed with a new release. It
would be a little bit of a pain to prevent your modem from being patched. There are also QoS (quality of service)
tables on each router (uBR) which your isp monitors.. If you push your modem higher than a speed level that your isp
sells you stick out like a sore thumb. Once they find that you've hacked it you will either get one warning or they
will disconnect you and refuse to serve you. If you have no other broadband alternatives it could really suck. It would
also be bad if you enjoy vod and other 2 way cable services (as they could just as easily refuse data and tv both and
cut/put a trap on your lines). Performing the hack could also probably land you in just as much hot water as the theft
of tv services.

Rob Koliha
Charter Communications / Charter Pipeline
Hickory, NC

PS: in no way have my statements here represented Charter Communications, I am just a member of the list who happens to
be happily employed for them ;)

On 12 Mar 2002 10:07:02 -0600