Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CSS implication

From: "HarryM" <harrym () the-group org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:18:11 -0000

Although very simular to XSS writting SSI, PHP, or any other kind of
server
side language is not XSS, but rather a remote file writting vulnerability.
The difference is there and I don't feel we should confuse the two.  I am
not sure if you would call client side scriptting that is saved to a file
on
the server XSS, but I personally do not count it as such.

I don't agree at all, if anything, grabbing a file from another site and
executing php in it is more XSS as I understand it, since you're 'crossing'
servers to get the code. If this isn't XSS then what about reaching to
another domain to download a .js file for execution, like the recent
vulnerabilities on online news pages? Perhaps there should be different
terms for clientside/serverside XSS vulns but i feel they fall under the
same category.

Harry