Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: CSS implication

From: "Matt Priestley" <mpriest () microsoft com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:47:59 -0800

Here are some of the things my security team has observed with relation to cross-site scripting:

* as you said, persistent cookie theft
* "session theft" where you act in the context of a privileged user
* as you said, running script or objects
* SQL injection attacking the back end logic
* likewise, XML injection
* changing page banners or other decorations in deceptive ways
* DoS attacks on the underlying system error logs
* causing a trusted page to display a link to an untrusted page