Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: PGP spoof decrypted output?

From: Brian Hatch <vuln-dev () ifokr org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:50:17 -0700

Of course, this sort
of spoof will only work on mailers such as mutt where you cannot
clearly tell PGP output from message content (and you have to pay attention
to other cues, such as the "s" flag shown in the mail folder listing).

Well in my mutt configuration the pgp verification is in
brown.  Your faux-pgp verification, since it was only
normal message content, was in blue like the rest of the
text and stood out instantly.

That and the fact that I don't have your key on my keyring,
so it wouldn't show the acutal key owner if it were legit.

When I started reading the message I thought gnupg/mutt was
broken and was going to investigate.  Luckily I read your
message before checking it out.

--
Brian Hatch                  Nostalgia isn't
   Systems and                what it used to be.

Every message PGP signed