Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: PGP spoof decrypted output?

From: Roger Burton West <roger () firedrake org>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:20:30 +0100

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 01:50:57PM +0200, Olaf Kirch wrote:
Spoofing unaware PGP users can be simple. I am sure you all noticed that
this message isn't PGP signed at all, but I guess there's quite
a number of people who won't immediately notice. Of course, this sort
of spoof will only work on mailers such as mutt where you cannot
clearly tell PGP output from message content (and you have to pay attention
to other cues, such as the "s" flag shown in the mail folder listing).

Note also the "current time"; and that for me at least (mutt 1.3.28i),
the highlighting was not present. Also, see
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/82/222488 and
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/82/224142 from last year.

Roger