Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Algorithm Footprint

From: Dominik Russenberger <drussenberger () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:17:21 +0100

no, not if it is a modern algorithm without header. you can look if it has
something like an header, but if not, then you haven't got a chance.
there's no difference between random data and encrypted data (assuming it's a
strong algorithm)

dominik

I am auditing one of my critical service system. This system provides our
users a method of stock exchange. By using ethereal I found the data
packets was encypted like in SSL. Next I found the private key in my server
and encypted symmetric key payload in the captured packets. After
successfully decrypting the 16- bytes symmetric key, I test many encryption
algorithm to decrypted the captured ciphertext, but all failed.
I want to know if encryption algorithm has footprint. Is there any technica
to find which encryption algorithm it used?
Thank you all and Happy Chinese New year!

Haiyan Chen

[security () fooyu com]
www.fooyu.com