Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Encryption Algorithm Footprint

From: Ed Moyle <emoyle () scsnet csc com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:37:47 -0500

Haiyan Chen wrote:

stock exchange. By using ethereal I found the data packets was encypted like in SSL. Next I
found the private key in my server and encypted symmetric key payload in the captured
packets. After successfully decrypting the 16- bytes symmetric key, I test many encryption
algorithm to decrypted the captured ciphertext, but all failed.

I want to know if encryption algorithm has footprint. Is there any technica to find which
encryption algorithm it used?

SSL, you say?  I seem to recall that some switch in ssldump will tell you about the negotiated ciphersuite...  here's
the location of the manpage... http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/Ssldump.html