Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Algorithm Footprint

From: "Robert Freeman" <freem100 () chapman edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:33:35 -0800

Perhaps it is RC2-128 CBC. The first block will utilize a specified
"initialization vector" whereas subsequent encrypted block are XOR'd with
data from the previous block prior to encryption. Therefore if you have a
captured packet, you need to take into account the block chaining.

You can always do some data-mining on your binary. Often a lot can be
determined with a simple hex editor and a dissembler.

Happy Chinese New Year too!

Regards,
Robert Freeman