Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Yanek Korff <yanek () cigital com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:44:48 -0500

I have finally figured out some of the problem.  By default RH6.2 will load
the 3c59x module for my three 3c905C-TX-M network cards.  RH 6.2 does not
panic when UDP scanned when using this kernel module.

By default RH7.0 will load the 3c90x module for the same 3c905C-TX-M network
cards.  It does panic when UDP scanned.  If I specify "alias eth0 3c59x" in
modules.conf, the other module loads and the system no longer crashes.
Additionally, I have recompiled a much smaller custom kernel and built the
3c59x drivers directly into the kernel - again, stable.

What remains a mystery, to me at least, is what is causing UDP scans to give
rise to a kernel panic.  Regardless of which driver module I am using, the
kernel panics only when firewall-1 is running.

Thanks to all for your thoughts & testing.

-Yanek.