Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Yanek Korff <yanek () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:27:48 -0500

Checkpoint does crash when being portscanned. Well, sort of.
Quite simply, when a (stateful) firewall, has too many
entries in the state table (IE it's full) then the box has problems.
In the case of checkpoint (or at least, this was the case a
few versions ago) it will crash. (And incidentally, if you are
synchronising the state table with another firewall for the purposes
of failover, thenthey'll both crash).
IIRC about 25000 connections will do this (less if you are using NAT)
Checkpoint also holds the 'state entries' for 50 seconds after the
connection is closed (IE FIN packets are seen), so you have a while to
reach the magic number.

My experience was with a Nokia IP440/Checkpoint
Firewall-4.1SP3, but it sounds as if the same situation may
be occuring.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.  If a table were being filled
up, I'd expect the FW to stay up for some period of time before eventually
crashing.  Here are some relevant facts:

1. Linux FW crashes -immediately- before it has the opportunity to log a udp
packet with tcpdump
2. Scans complete successfully against NT 4.0 and Solaris-x86

-Yanek.